Monday, May 26, 2008

85,618,557 Gallons of Gas for Memorial Day Weekend

For the cost of one day in Iraq, Americans could buy 85,618,557 gallons of gas for road trips on Memorial Day weekend.

(Based on the national average fuel price of $3.88 per gallon recorded May 23, 2008)

This means a person could drive a Ford Focus with a 14-gallon gas tank* 352,908 times across the U.S., from NYC to LA, round trip.

But let's say you want to go someplace further on your vacation - like the moon (in your Ford Focus). For the cost of one day in Iraq, you could buy enough gas to drive to the moon and back 4,122 times.

Or if all those round trips don't appeal to you, you could drive to Saturn and back once, with a few million miles left over.

* Ford Focus was the most popular car model sold in 2007 according to Guinness.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow. $3.88 for a gallon of gas. I remember the good old days...the cheapest gas I saw today was $4.19.

Crap.

Also, I'm glad you started this blog, and I like that you opened it up with several posts already up - I think that's a blog-rule though, right? I don't know. But I know I like it.